Friday, September 16, 2011

Menu Friday

Lately we've changed how we do food at the Potter house. The old model has always been that I plan menu's, make grocery lists, go to the grocery store and cook dinner each night. Occasionally I would enlist Chris' help either to do dishes as I cook or aide in the cooking. However since I've been pregnant our model has changed dramatically. I still generally make the menu. Sometimes this is done with Chris* and some cook books of his choice (Betty Crocker) but often on my lunch break with a variety of websites or lately random dishes I know by heart. Either we grocery shop together or Chris ventures out on his own with a list in hand. Then each evening he cooks dinner. I sit on the bar stool in our kitchen and chop things, read him the recipe and offer general advice on heat, stirring, browning etc. It's amazing how much he's learned over the past several months. I find my advice is needed less as he becomes more confident with various cooking techniques. Sometimes it's a little frustrating to be relegated to my stool on the sidelines but my swollen feet greatly appreciate the relief and by the time Margot makes her appearance Chris will be nearly as competent in the kitchen as I am. This should make for a much smoother postpartum period for all of us.

Our menu's have also changed quite a bit. In order to help Chris cook we try to focus on quick and easy weeknight meals. So we have less Bon Appetit recipes, less ethnic food and more Betty Crocker. I also try to pick things he particularly likes. I know I'm more excited cooking something I really like. The man loves meat and potatoes. He loves meat loaf, stroganoff, stuffing, casseroles, chili, and meat loaf. And because we are watching our pennies these days we try and choose economical meals. Here is our menu for the week to come:

Fri: Chicken and Rice Casserole (recipe jotted down on random scrap in my recipe box)and sauteed spinach

Sat: Roast chicken with braised french lentils, roasted carrots and salad

Sun: Dinner at my Dad's

Mon: chicken tostadas with fresh salsa and sauteed zucchini*

Tues: Potato leek soup (Julia Child, Mastering the Art of French cooking) and salad

Wed: Taco soup

Thur: left overs

Fri: steak, scalloped potatoes and sauteed spinach


Chicken Tostadas
1 cup cooked shredded chicken
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 cup fresh salsa (either green or red)
1 cup cooked or canned black beans
shredded cheese
lettuce
chopped green onion or chives
sour cream
fresh salsa
1 cup masa
water

place masa in bowl and add just enough water to make a stiff dough. Form into tortillas and dry fry on high heat in non stick skillet. Place tortillas on plates and lower heat in pan to medium heat. Place chicken in pan. Sprinkle with chili powder and cumin. Add one cup of fresh salsa. Let cook for 5-10 minutes until heated through and some of the liquid has cooked off. Top each tortilla with black beans and cheese. Add chicken and top with lettuce, salsa, sour cream and green onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment