Friday, August 7, 2009

What spaghetti in a taco--that's crazy!

Do you need a fun, albeit perhaps crazy, dinner idea? Try my Spaghetti Sauce Tacos. Actually they are my mom’s spaghetti sauce tacos. I’m not really sure how they came about. I just remember as a kid we would get to eat them and we were SOOO excited. They are delicious and messy and just plain fun. Kids love them because it’s spaghetti sauce and tacos all at once! I made them last night and they are still just as Delicious as I remembered. Sadly I have no pictures because I left my camera in San Fran and don’t have it back yet.

To make spaghetti sauce tacos you first have to make spaghetti sauce. But not just any spaghetti sauce, you have to make Betty Crocker spaghetti sauce (this is because it's so meaty and thus stays in the taco). Since I was Betty Crocker the other day and made a big pot of spaghetti sauce we had some left over, which was perfect for spaghetti sauce tacos.

Betty Crocker Spaghetti Sauce

1 lb ground beef
1 onion chopped
1 clove garlic chopped
1 6oz can tomato paste
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 cup water
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
¾ tsp basil
½ tsp marjoram
1 tsp oregano

Sauté beef with onion and garlic until beef is browned. Drain and return to pot. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to boil lower to simmer and simmer 1 hour.

Spaghetti Sauce Tacos

Soft corn tortillas (how many depends on how many tacos ppl want to eat)
Canola oil
Cheddar cheese
Sour cream
Left over spaghetti sauce
Option: lettuce and chopped raw onion

Heat canola oil in skillet. Fry tortillas in oil to make crispy taco shells. Grate cheese. Reheat spaghetti sauce.

To eat: put sauce in taco shell, top with cheese and sour cream and maybe some lettuce.

What makes these so brilliantly good is the combination of the fried tortilla the tomatoey sauce and the cold sour cream. As long as you incorporate those three elements you can’t go wrong. I will warn you they are very messy so be prepared.

*side note: there will be a day when I write a post about something other than food. It will happen I promise. Perhaps shoes...stay tuned!

Happy Friday All!

Mrs. P

No comments:

Post a Comment