Thursday, April 22, 2010

Books books and more books

Today marks one week since we canceled our TV and Internet and we are loving it! I feel like my time has tripled. Evenings feel longer and more relaxed, mornings are no longer rushed, our home is more relaxing and peaceful.

Now for my book challenge. I mentioned my book challenge to Mr. P and you know what his first response was, "That means you have to read War and Peace". He then preceded to name all the intensely long Russian novels we own (that he brought to the marriage) that I have not read. Not only is there War and Peace but there is Crime and Punishment, The Brothers Karamazov and something else I can't remember. While I very smartly remembered to exempt Kant from my list I forgot about Mr. P's Russian literature collection.

I will read War and Peace last, it will be my crowning glory to this whole project.

Last night I attempted to make a list of all the books I haven't read but I got bored and stopped at 22. It was the tip of the ice berg. I definitely have more research but I did count 625 book in our house that are not cook books, law books, or other reference books such as sewing, hiking, fishing and what not. Of those 625 a lot are the exempt philosophy. So at this point I'm not sure how many I have ahead of me. Further research is needed. Right now I am reading The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan and up next is a memoir called West With the Night.

7 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm not sure I'm as brave as your are, but I sincerely applaud your decision!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's awesome. When we get moved in, my goal is to read all the books on my shelf at least once before I buy any more. I have a bad habit of buying new books before I read all the ones I currently have. (Well, *I* don't think it's a bad habit....)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked Crime & Punishment...that is, I got sucked into it in the first few chapters, wondered what the heck was going to happen during the middle, and in the last few pages & was satisfied & began to like it... Have you ever seen the War & Peace movie with Audrey Hepburn?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Brothers Karamazov is excellent. Russian novels may be long and daunting, but they are worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a WONDERFUL idea. I always say I am going to do this and then I get tempted into the bookstore. New books just smell soo good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my goals for 2010 was to read all the books I got for Christmas (~ 18), and if that works out, to read the other books I have here that I haven't read yet (~ 6). We'll see... So far I've finished off a measley 6.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Russian novels are my favorite... you will get wrapped into the story and cannot put them down!

    Enjoy...

    Blessings,
    Kristie

    ReplyDelete