Monday, November 15, 2010

Sometimes we need Junk Food

Generally speaking I am a healthy eater. I eat lots of vegetables, whole grains, natural meat, raw milk, and very small amounts of sugar. I don't drink coffee, soda, and generally avoid processed food. However, there are some distinctly unhealthy foods that I love! And from time to time I happily indulge in foods like, chili fries, cheese fries, nachos, deviled ham, fried chicken, potato chips, tortilla chips, corn dogs, cheese cake and sweet tea. In fact, I seriously considered ordering chili cheese fries for lunch last week at a business lunch but decided it was too unprofessional and opted for something else. Last night however we indulged in.....epic nachos!

If you are in need of a good junk food night I highly recommend a foray into epic nacho making. This is my sister's invention. She would want me to tell you that to do epic nachos the right way you must use Doritos. I however opt for regular tortilla chips. Line a baking sheet with tortilla chips, top with cheese, add a layer of re-fried beans and cooked ground beef, another layer of cheese and bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Top with lettuce, sour cream, salsa, hot sauce and guacamole and enjoy.

For really gourmet nachos you can make your own re-fried beans:

Bring 2 cups dried pinto beans, one onion chopped and water to cover to boil. Boil 2 minutes. cover and let soak at least 1.5 hours but up to 8 hours. Add more water if necessary to recover. Add one bay leaf, ham hock or salt pork (optional) and bring to boil. Simmer 2 hours until tender. In another pan melt 1/4-1/2 cup of lard. With slotted spoon remove beans and add to hot pan of lard reserving cooking liquid. Let fry a minute or so then begin mashing. As you mash add cooking liquid and salt. Mash until you have right consistency. Salt to taste.

*I understand you may think lard is disgusting. However, lard is a very misunderstood food. Don't knock it till you try it. Also, every decent authentic Mexican restaurant makes re-fried beans with lard. That is why they are so yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment