Friday, February 10, 2012

returning to work

My maternity leave is coming to a close. I return to work this coming Wednesday. I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand I am really looking forward to going back. I miss my work and the time interacting with my colleagues. However I know it will be hard to go from being with Margot almost 24-7 to being away each day. I am also apprehensive about her transition, pumping and her routine. Despite my apprehensions I think it will be good for us all to transition to our new normal. It will be quite an adjustment for all thee of us but I think a more concrete schedule and routines will be good for all of us.

As I prepare to go back I am realizing that both Margot and I have suffered from a lack of routine. She is almost 3 months old and has a really inconsistent routine. This is largely my fault because I get stir crazy and after 2 days at home I spend a day or two out and about. All of the in and out of the car seat, different places and walks have led to many short naps. Since Margot will be going to my Mom's house while I'm at work my mom and I will be able to work together to establish a more consistent routine for Margot. Over the past week we have started implementing a bedtime routine which is already helping bedtime.

I also realize that Chris and I need more structure. The chaos of a new baby takes a toll. We are have established a chore chart and daily schedule that we hope will ease our transition. We'll see how it works and if it works I'll blog about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment