Wednesday, January 25, 2012

What's for dinner?

As you might expect it is not easy making dinner with a newborn on hand. It's especially hard for me since Margot detests her swing and only happy plays on her blanket as long as I sit right next to her. Dinner therefore has to either go into the crock pot in the morning before Chris leaves for work or wait to be made after Chris gets home for work. Lately we've been focusing on dinners that can be made in 30 minutes or less. Last night's shredded beef tacos were such a hit I thought I'd share. This is a recipe I've been playing with for years and I think I might have finally perfected it.








Shredded Beef for Tacos




1lb Top or bottom round steak or beef stew meat


1/2 a small onion chopped (about half a cup)


1 clove garlic, chopped


1 can diced green chilies


1 whole dried cayenne pepper broken up or 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper


1 tsp cumin


1/2 tsp coriander


1/2 tsp chili powder


1/4 tsp oregano


salt and pepper


1/2 cup tomato juice


1/4 cup water




Season meat with salt, pepper and ground spices and place in bottom of crock pot. Top with onion, garlic and canned chilies. Break up cayenne pepper over top. Add tomato juice and water. Cook on low 8-10 hours.




For really exciting tacos I like to fry my corn tortillas in a skillet. However for a quicker and healthier version you can heat them up in a microwave or dry skillet.


No comments:

Post a Comment