Thursday, October 20, 2011

Margot's Book shelf

Last week my book club came to my house so I could still be apart of the discussion despite bed rest. I have been a part of this book club since it came together almost 4 years ago. At our meeting they all surprised me with a book shower! They brought cake and each member brought their favorite children's book for Margot. And one of the ladies made Margot a Mother Goose quilt. It was so much fun and so exciting for Chris and I to open all those wonderful books.






We already had some children's books that were mine when I was a child and now with all of these Margot's book shelf is brimming with wonderful books to read. Chris and I try to read to her every day and we've a had a lot of fun working our way through the various books. Here are some of our favorites, first from my childhood:



This book was my favorite as a little kid. It takes place in Russia and is about a peasant who has magical powers and lots of wisdom and the Czar who lacks wisdom. The illustrations are amazing.





And some of our new books we love:


As famous as this book is I actually had never read it until someone gave it to us. I love the colorful pictures and the fun room.


Another one I hadn't read. This book is so sweet and has beautiful pictures.


Again another I hadn't read. This book has quickly become my favorite. I think I've already read it to Margot half a dozen times. It's a beautiful book.


What are your favorite children's books?

3 comments:

  1. I hope bed rest is going ok! I am following your progress. I am so tired I wish I could be at home instead of work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, I already had a list of these saved on my computer... (some are for older children as opposed to young'ns)

    Books:
    *Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day - Judith Viorst
    *Are You My Mother? - P.D. Eastman
    *Barney Bear's Pizza Shop - Difiori
    *Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? - Bill Martin Jr.
    *Chicka Chicka Boom Boom - Bill Martin Jr. & John Achambault
    *Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs - Judi Barrett
    *Frederick - Leo Lionni
    *Gregory the Terrible Eater - Mitchell Sharmat
    *Guess How Much I Love You - Sam McBratney
    *Harold & The Purple Crayon - Crockett Johnson
    *If You Give a Mouse a Cookie - Laura Numeroff
    *Kitten's First Full Moon - Kevin Henkes
    *Legend of the Bluebonnet - Tomie dePaola
    *Make Way for Ducklings - Robert McCloskey
    *Mortimer - Robert Munsch
    *Pancakes for Breakfast - Tomie dePaola
    *Sideways Stories from Wayside School - Louis Sachar
    *Snot Stew - Bill Wallace
    *Strega Nona - Tomie dePaola
    *The Giving Tree - Shel Silverstein
    *The Jolly Postman: Or Other People's Letters - Janet & Allan Ahlberg
    *The Monster at the End of This Book - Jon Stone
    *The Snowy Day - Ezra Jack Keats
    *The Stinky Cheese Man - Jon Scieszka
    *The Tale of Peter Rabbit - Beatrix Potter
    *The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs! - Jon Scieszka
    *The Velveteen Rabbit - Margery Williams
    *The Very Hungry Catepillar - Eric Carle
    *Where the Wild Things Are - Maurice Sendak

    Series:
    *Amelia Bedelia books - Peggy Parish
    *Arthur books - Marc Brown
    *Dr. Seuss books
    *Goosebumps books - R.L. Stein
    *How Do Dinosaurs... books - Jane Yolen
    *Mercer Mayer books
    *Ramona Quimby books - Beverly Cleary
    *Seymour Simon science books
    *The Berenstain Bears books - Stan & Jan Berenstain
    *The Magic School Bus books - Joanna Cole & Bruce Degen

    ReplyDelete