Tuesday, November 24, 2009

"Before we eat..."

Thanksgiving is just a few days away. At this time of the year I think it is important to stop and really think about what we are Thankful for. And I don’t mean the “10 things you are thankful for” speech your father begins the meal with. This has been on my mind a lot lately. The past few months I have had a bad case of the “I wants”. I want booties, I want new skinny jeans, I want riding boots, I want to live in a house, I want to have a baby, I want Mr. P to be done with law school already, I want a new party dress and so on. This really hit home a few weeks ago when I learned that our church budget was suffering and our Pastor was going to have to take a pay cut. Then the next week I was at Ethos (a young adults youth group) when the Pastor spoke on envy versus contentment. Then my dad sent me this video. And then on Sunday we had our annual Thanksgiving service and church pot luck and Pastor Steve reminded us much we have to be thankful for. I read this pattern as a clear message from God and reminder to myself. It is so easy in our society to get “the wants”, we see what others have and we start to feel entitled, we start to feel it’s not fair, and we start to feel embarrassed with what we have or don’t have. We forget how blessed we are and how content we should be. I know I struggle with this and it is something I continually need to work on. In the words of my father, “the word fair needs to be taken out of your vocabulary”.

With thanksgiving this week and the holidays around the corner I am glad for the reminder I needed. I want this Thanksgiving to truly be a reminder of how blessed we are. And I want this Christmas to be about Jesus, family, friends, church and building beautiful memories. So in honor of Thanksgiving and my Dad (who always requires this before we are allowed to eat out Thanksgiving dinner) here is my list of what I am thankful for this year:

1. Our Church, we love our Church, it is truly a gift from God
2. Mr. P, he is such a wonderful husband

Mr. P and I at Crater Lake this summer.


3. My brother and sister, who besides being wonderful siblings are also wonderful friends


Sean and Jess at Jess' graduation


4. My wonderful Father and Mother


Mom and I at my bridal shower.


5. That I live in this country with all of the promise and opportunity it offers
6. That I live in a nice apartment with a roof overhead and a warm comfy bed
7. For all of our wonderful friends


Everyone at Easter dinner last year.


8. For my Cousin Lauren who is also my best friend and the perfect shopping partner

Lauren and I at her wedding in July


9. For my job which provides more than we need
10. That Mr. P has the opportunity to go to Law School

What are you thankful for this Thanksgiving?

2 comments:

  1. This was another wonderful post. I think I needed this reminder of Thanksgiving as well. There have definitely been many things on my want list the last few months, and when I stop and think about it I have it really good! For one I am thankful, and very honored, to be on your list. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, this post is so appropriate. Needed to not just be reminded to be thankful, but I love to know what friends of mine are personally thankful for. As for me, I'm thankful for a good & adventurous first year of marriage, for being "adopteded" by a family named the Poets, for the ways Jesus shows me he loves me even when I lack love for him, and for ideas/creativity/inspiration to keep becoming the woman of God he sees me as. :)

    ReplyDelete