Monday, August 6, 2012

Hot days and cold eats

It's been hot. And I don't know about all of you but one thing I don't like to do when it's hot is cook anything hot. So this weekend while temperatures were 101 and 96 we ate cold leftovers, salad, and fresh fruit for dinner and nice cold smoothies for breakfast. These smoothies are good, easy, and healthy. They are the perfect summer snack, breakfast, lunch or dessert.
 Just 3-5 simple ingredients: frozen banana*, frozen berries (these featured fresh blueberries and raspberries from the farmers market that I stuck in the freezer for an hour before making the smoothies) and whole milk Greek yogurt--it must be whole fat that's what makes these creamy and delicious
 Simply place all ingredients into food processor and blend until smooth. 
 Enjoy! Chris and I drank these for breakfast in a glass while Margot enjoyed hers with a spoon
*Once my bananas are ripe I just stick the whole banana in the freezer for smoothie making. I have to cut the peel off with a knife which is fairly easy. If I have frozen berries in the freezer (which I usually do) I use those or if I have fresh berries floating around I just pop some in the freezer for at least an hour before smoothie making. I find any berries work here, peaches and mangoes would also be good.

1 comment:

  1. I make a lot of smoothies, and I find the easiest way to freeze bananas is to peel them, break them into fourths, place those fourths into a quart- or gallon-sized freezer bag, and then place that bag flat in the freezer (with the banana quarters in a single layer). The banana quarters freeze very nicely, and then when a recipe calls for a frozen banana, pull 4 frozen banana quarters (the equiv. of 1 banana) out of the bag and pop 'em in the blender! Super easy and pre-portioned to fit/blend properly in the blender!

    ReplyDelete