Friday, February 18, 2011

Menu Friday

Long ago when I first started my blog I used to post my menu's each Friday. I have traditionally made my menu's on Friday so I could by groceries Friday or Saturday. I always enjoy reading what other's are cooking and thought I would start sharing mine again.

Some notes about this week. We will be moving in three weeks so I am trying to use up as much food as I can that is in the house and buy as little new food as possible. Because we are helping the Wilson's move this weekend and the James move next weekend I plan on doing our packing a little bit at a time on week nights. I also plan on going to the gym Monday, Thursday and Friday night. Given all of that this week is quick easy and cheap!!!

Sunday: Simple pork and beans with rice and collard greens
Monday: Tuna Melts, matchstick skillet fries and pickled beets
Tuesday: Braised Sausage and Lentils with fresh spinach
Wednesday: Huevos Rancheros with massa tortillas and green chilies
Thursday: Fried Pork chops, mashed potatoes and pickled beets
Friday: Black eyed peas and corn muffins

Matchstick skillet fries
This is a really easy way to get a french fry fix at home without the mess or calories of deep frying. Peel potatoes and cut into really thin fries. Heat olive oil in skillet, once smoking add potatoes. Toss with oil to coat and add salt, pepper and paprika or chili powder. Fry until browned and soft inside.

Braised Sausage and Lentils
This recipe used to be a stand by of mine. Brown sausage links in some olive oil. Add french lentils, chopped celery and carrots, chopped onion and garlic, on can of tomatoes and 2 cups of chicken broth. Add a bay leaf, some salt and pepper and some fresh or dried thyme. Bring to simmer, reduce and cover. Cook 20-30 minutes until lentils are cooked through. Add fresh spinach to wilt and serve.

Huevos Rancheros with Massa tortillas and green chilies
Huevos are such a staple for us. This variation is easy but a little nicer for dinner. Huevos are always tortillas topped with beans, then eggs, then salsa. In this variation it's no different. However, I make fresh tortillas from massa. Super easy, just mix massa flour with just enough water to bind into ball. Flatten balls out with palm to make tortilla. Dry fry in skillet. For this I'll just used heated canned black beans and store bought salsa.

Fried Pork Chops
This is simply pork chops dredged in beaten egg, then cornmeal then fried in a skillet. Yummy!

Black eyed peas
I love black eyed peas. The easiest quickest way to make them is to saute onion and garlic in olive oil. Add chili powder, cayenne, cumin, and dried peas. Add 2 cans tomatoes, chunk of salt pork, and 4 cups broth. Bring to boil, lower to simmer. Serve with corn bread.

What are you eating this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment