Thursday, December 30, 2010

Reading Challange Update

Last spring I gave myself a challenge. I will not buy any new books until I have read all the books in our house. I went through and catalogued all of our books and made a master list of those I haven't read. I excluded poetry books and my husbands philosophy/theology books that I didn't want to read, such as Wittgenstein and Kant.* Out of 600* some books in our house there are 204 I haven't read. I organized my master list into categories*, classic novels, modern novels, contemporary novels, beach novels, non-fiction and philosophy. When I finish a book on my list I cross it out and add the date I finished it. I like to see how I'm doing each category so I can make a point to read books from different genres.

So in 8 months I have read 12 of those 204 books. In short I need to step it up a notch. Part of the problem is I decide to go to the library and get Jen Lancaster or Emily Griffin instead of reading from my list. But a lot of my problem is since I started my new job I have been so tired in the evenings I've been watching more TV and reading less. Now that I'm more settled into my job I hope I can reverse that trend.

To better challenge/inspire myself i made a reading list for the year ahead. It's an ambitious list that I may or may not get through in one year but I might as well try. Here are the books I look forward to reading this year:









*As a philosophy major I read enough Kant to last me a lifetime during undergrad and Wittgenstein is just too hard.
*Yes we have 600 books not including poetry. yes we are dorks.
*can you say type A anyone...

1 comment:

  1. Good goal! I am curious how you categorized each book on this list. I can proudly say I have read a whopping two of these books: Jane Eyre and The Scarlett Letter- although that was in high school!

    ReplyDelete