Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Spring?

After weeks of rain yesterday's high of 70 degrees, blue skies, and sunshine felt like an early spring day emerging from a long winter. I feel like it's March or April rather than June. Apparently the local produce agrees with me. Strawberries have yet to appear and my grandmothers rhubarb is just now ready to harvest. Last night my kitchen felt like Spring as well as I soaked, rinsed and chopped long ruby stalks of rhubarb for Rhubarb pie. Because I had too much rhubarb for one pie I also made some rhubarb compote on impulse. A truly delicious last minute decision on my part which made for both the perfect desert and a lovely breakfast this morning.

Rhubarb Compote

2 cups chopped rhubarb
1/4 cup + more to taste agave syrup or honey
2 TB arrow root or cornstarch
2 TB water

Place chopped rhubarb in sauce pan on med heat. Cook stirring occasionally until rhubarb starts to break down and look stewed, about 20-30 minutes. Add honey or agave. Taste and add more sweetener if desired. I like my rhubarb still tart others may like it sweater. Mix water and arrowroot and add. Bring to boil and reduce. Cook a few more minutes until thickened. Let cool and place in glass jar. Store in refrigerator.

This is so yummy on toast. We had a lot of ricotta cheese in our fridge so I mixed some ricotta and honey and slathered that on toast then topped it with the rhubarb compote for Mr. P's breakfast and he said it was delicious. I think it's also good to just eat with a spoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment