Monday, July 12, 2010

Summer Days

I can't believe we are halfway through July. Summer is almost half over and yet it seems it's hardly begun. We had a very low key weekend. Between working in the yard, riding our bicycles downtown, watching Frasier on DVD, lots of reading for me and studying for Mr. P. Two weeks from today he goes to Portland to take his bar exam. Which means two and a half weeks until we leave for South America!

I finished Gone with The Wind Friday morning and was extremely distressed. I truly loved this book until the last 100 pages (remember it is a 700 page book). The last section stressed me out to no end. I wanted to smack both Scarlett and Rett. They drove me mad. By the end I was in such a state I had to call my Step-Mother (Gone with the Wind is her favorite book) right a way and vent at their stupidity.

I them attempted to read my July book club book, The Talented Mr. Ripley. However, I could not do it. I read the first 60 pages and was so bored out of my mind I had to stop. Besides I couldn't bear the main character. He was so blah. And so I moved onto South of Broad by Pat Conroy. I have heard a lot about this book this summer and so I was excited to get it from the library. It is the perfect summer read. I have barely put it down all weekend. While I admit it is a tad over dramatic it is captivating and I adore the main character. It has beautiful descriptions of Charleston, uplifting moments of human kindness and feel good 1960's high school moments followed by hilarious over the top dramatic outbursts. It's wonderful!

What are you reading this summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment